Wednesday 19 September 2007

Heartfelt words

I started to do the post I wanted here for tonight and I sort of got carried away and have been writing for 2 hours and still not finished it, so I may save it for the weekend :)

So instead browsing through my word files to see what I could use, I came across the words I wrote for my wedding, adapted from something I found years ago, now I know the groom doesn't normally do a speech other than the usual thankyou's etc but I did, and the following was aimed squarely at my new bride.

****************

Before we met, you and I were halves unjoined except in the wide rivers of our minds.

We were each other's distant shore, the opposite wings of a bird, the other half of a seashell.

We did not know the other then, did not know our determination to keep alive the cry of one riverbank to the other.

We were apart, yet connected in our ignorance of each other, like two apples sharing a common tree.

I knew you existed long before you understood my desire to join my freedom to yours.

Our paths collided long enough for our indecision to be swallowed up by the greater need of love.

When you came to me, the sun surged towards the earth and moon escaped from darkness to bless the union of two spirits, so alike that the creator had designed them for life's endless circle.

Beloved partner, keeper of my heart's odd secrets, clothed in summer blossoms so the icy hand of winter never touches us.

I thank your patience.

Our joining is like a tree to earth, a cloud to sky and even more.

We are the reason the world can laugh on its battlefields and rise from the ashes of its selfishness to hear me say,
in this time,
in this place,
in this way - I love you.


4 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

Oh I can see a very romantic side of yours, very nice speach and creative. Lucky bride, anna :)

Roswila said...

It's all beautiful! But especially the closing:

We are the reason the world can laugh on its battlefields and rise from the ashes of its selfishness to hear me say,
in this time,
in this place,
in this way - I love you.

Thank you so much for sharing. It comes at a time when I am devotedly observing Ganesh Chaturthi (week long festival for the Hindu elephant headed deity Ganesh). And love and connection are much on my mind and heart as I sit at His altar two times a day.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

I do!!! Oh, that wasn't for me. LOL Scruffy, are you writing fiction novels? You should be!!!

Give your wife a hug for me for marrying such a special man. :D

Hugs, JJ

Scruffyhippo said...

anna, that's the cancerian in me :) bit of a soft touch really lol

Roswilla, thankyou, always glad my articles prove useful :)

JJ, bless you, and yes I have started writing novels but never seem to get the time to complete them lol, one I started nearly 15 years ago on an old typewriter, and keep meaning to transfer to the computer, one day.....