Sunday 2 September 2007

What's in the box?

I did a post a few days ago called Finding your true path Today I will give an insight into what this question meant and hopefully give a few of you a look at who you are.

Whichever way you look at this question and whatever answer you have given isn’t wrong, there is no wrong answer, what the question gives you is an insight into your own spiritual path, lets remind ourselves of the question; If you are given two boxes and asked to choose either one, which should you pick?…… they are both the same size and colour and look identical……. So you pick one….. you open the box and find it contains some money, do you think wow that’s great and go off happy or do you wonder what was in the other box?

The money could well be symbolic of whatever you value most in life or whatever you aspire to, the question could well be put many other ways such as; if you had one wish what would it be? The first thing that would run through your mind is all things you have ever wanted to do, all the things that you would of liked but could never afford, it would be a hard decision.

Ok so you have picked a box, are you happy with your choice? Or do you wonder what the other box contained?

Lets see what some of the readers said;

(The answers below are based on the way you answered)


Anna Lozyk Romeo said…
Peter, thanks for this very educational post. Most of the time I answer something else, but I will try to be the first one. I just take the money and be happy. I think and I hope money is just representation. Sometimes its better to take what you got and make best of it. Suppose the second box had more money, then what, I will be asking myself why I did not choose the second -...Anna :)

Anna, you are right but not knowing what’s in the second box doesn’t seem to bother you too much, this in itself makes you a happy person and content with what you do have and receive, anything else is a bonus.

me said...
If I am given the two boxes and specifically asked to choose one, I will pick one and stay happy with it. I would think about the second box but for a moment because I am human.

Me, your answer is similar to Anna’s but also honest enough to admit to your own shortcomings and a sign of not only being human but also realistic.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...
I would do both. Take the money and while I'm spending some and saving some, wonder what was in the other box.

Nature Nut, you have given an honest answer too, you admit you would wonder about the other box, but then you question things in life too, that’s no bad thing, I do the same, although you would be happy with the contents of the box you have chosen, your inquisitiveness would get the better of you, I to can be that way, I always strive to be better and am my own worst critic.

Two Feathers said...
I would spend the rest of my life wondering what was in that other box. I might even spend all of my money getting a hold of that other box so that I could see what was in it.

Partly, I suppose, because I would wonder if there was something even better that I had missed out on, and partly out of curiosity... was it a rock? was it a dead man's hand? was it a ring? was it THE ring? was it diamonds? was it a frog? was it cobwebs? was it happiness?

Two Feathers, You made me smile, that’s shows you really are looking for the answers to everything, and why not? Only by questioning everything may we get a glance of what it’s all about.

GO! Smell the flowers said...
We would try our best to be in the moment and accept what was in the box for to compare and wonder about the other box would lead to resentment or jealousy.
Take what comes. Right?

Flowers, yes right, but as I have said there are no wrong answers, but again this shows you are a content person you are and in many ways excepts your place on this earth and what you can do in return, you ask for very little and in return get abundance.

Marisa said...
I'd swap the box for the other one. It isn't that I'd be dissatisfied with whatever is in the one I got, but rather that the curiosity of not knowing what was in the other box would haunt me forever.

Marisa, you are a bit like Two Feathers, although in this case only you would give up what you have for something else, even though you may lose out you are prepared to go forward and discover the truth, good move, but although it may lose you what you have, you have gained the knowledge you may otherwise not had.

Life is full of choices, but is that choice always the right one to make? it's hard to say until it's been done, but remember one thing we have to make that choice to move on forward in life and if it's wrong, we learn by it.

Thankyou to all the above readers for their participation in this post :)

What's that?...what's in the other box?...do you really want to know?

Ok Click Here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for opening this box of thoughts up with us! Great idea, more please! not in the material sense you understand, just in a blog content type way...

Cheers!
We really enojoyed this one.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

How interesting reading through the evaluation of all the answers!!! You described me to a T. I see we have some things in common. :D

That was a great!!!

Hugs, JJ

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Thank you, that was fun.

I took that question to work with me, and got into some really interesting discussions with the people I work with.

Then I got to thinking about Pandora.. and wondering what if I was confronted with a box and told NOT to open it... what would I do? or what if someone begged me not to open it? or what if someone told me it would be a really BAD IDEA to open it?

My answers to every one of those questions was that yes - absolutely - I would open the box. If it was chained shut, glued shut, didn't matter. I'd be looking inside that box.

The answers I got from coworkers on THAT question varied from:

"no I wouldn't open it" (because I obey the rules)

"if I thought I could open it without anyone knowing about it - then I would" (because I try not to get in trouble)

"if somebody begged me I wouldn't open it" (because I'm nice)

So.... thank you for getting every body thinking!

Roswila said...

I'm afraid my practical Capricorn nature reveals itself in my answer: I'd be delighted with what the box I chose contained and start figuring out the best uses to which to put it. I doubt I'd think all that much about what was in the box I didn't choose. What good would it do me to do so? I have better uses to which to put my wondering and imagination. :-D

Scruffyhippo said...

Hi flowers, oh there will be more I have many thought provoking questions to share :)

jj loch, thankyou for your reply, yes it does seem so :)

Two feathers, I'm so glad you took this on board and expanded on it, that is what I hope to do, to get people thinking about things and inter-action, with me it's a bit like the red buttom theory, if you see a red button that says 'DO NOT PUSH' I wonder how many people would be tempted to push it?

Roswilla, your answer is similar to anna and me at the being of the post, you are a very content person and again happy with what life gives you, you also make the most of opportunities you have.

Bob Johnson said...

I'd be happy with the money, but I'd always wonder what was in the other box, especially if there wasn't a lot of money,even if there was a million dollars in the box I chose I'd be wondering if there was something better in the second.

Scruffyhippo said...

Bob, your the first to mention the amount of money, and then qualify that by saying it wouldn't matter on the amount you would still wonder, I used this question some time back on my old website forum and one of the answers was if it was alot of money I wouldn't worry, meaning this person had given it conditions, you on the other hand, think you may of been short changed even with a million dollars, interesting answer, you are someone that strives for the best, in fact knowing what little I do about you, could see you in your element with access to the Hubble space telescope :) but thats you, you are also a perfectionist in what you do and always aim higher each time you do something, in fact if something doesn't have the outcome you had hoped for, you get quite cross with yourself, when in fact the next person see's what you have done as amazing.
Sometimes a high expectation and a lower outcome even though not ideal, helps us to attain those higher goals, it what drives us on :)

Julia Stonestreet Smith said...

hmmm,

i'm guilty of living with a lot of LONGING. i would yearn to know what's in the other box, terrified to discover it was awful and maybe even more afraid to discover it was better.

such is life...

Scruffyhippo said...

Hi Julia, that's interesting, as I know you are a Capricorn from your profile, you have said almost the opposite of Roswilla, who is also a Capricorn,(Makes a note to look up Capricorn traits)But this is similar to what many readers above have said, really the answer is 50/50, yes I would be happy or no I want to know what's in the other box!. But as I suspect you to are on your own path, that searching for the truth is probably one of the aspects you are looking at. As a reader I'm sure you, as many of us are, looking for the facts rather than any hubbub associated with this business, it's only by doing so, as I have already said that we find anything close to an answer.

myonlyphoto said...

Hi Peter, all I can say wow. You are right about me I am happy with what I have. If you asked me this may be 3-4 years ago, I think the answer would be different, but I chose to explore the inner me and not to worry about the materialistic stuff all around us, don't get me wrong I still like to shop and buy stuff, but I do enjoy the most is life and what I do. Thanks for such a nice post and I will be back to read your latest post. Just been back from hiking and biking, and got to catch up with all I put on hold. Anna :)