Friday 7 September 2007

Should I stay or should I go?

I have been asked many times can the spiritual journey be a shared thing? And the easy answer to this is yes, but that’s exactly what many people do, this doesn’t always mean you would share it with a partner, as many people share with their own group of friends in a development circle or workshop or at a spiritual centre.

But ultimately it can be and often is a lonely journey, your own path is just that, your own path.

Most groups of enlightened people are also very solitary people, what they experience it very rarely shared.

Even in groups we can only teach the basics and given you an insight into how it works with different people, but the eventual discovery is yours alone.

I am going to pose a question and bearing in mind the implications and the ultimate experience that you would go though before you answer.

I am one that would give up many things for the ultimate experience but where do you set the limits.

Ok here goes;

One night while walking home in the dusk light you hear a noise from across the fields, you walk off into that direction and the trees are lit with a pinkish tinge, as you walk closer you are aware of something pulsing in the trees.

Your intrigued, and want to find out more.

There in the clearing just beyond the trees is a large craft not of this world, you have no fear but only interest and still you walk closer.

A figure reveals himself (you assume it’s a he) and offers out his hand, with this you offer yours………

After a while you are joined by two more and with little effort speak the same language as you, they tell you they have come from across the galaxy from a planet that has two suns and has everything they ever need.

You are offered the chance to go with them and discover untold places in a far off galaxy, the ultimate experience…..

But there are two things, firstly you would have to go now as they need to leave the earths atmosphere, and two they can’t bring you back.

What would you do? Stay or go !................


9 comments:

Bob Johnson said...

Very interesting question, I would go in a flash if my spouse and family knew where I was going and that I'd be safe, otherwise not.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

I would go if they promised to bring me back sometime in the future, but not if it was forever. I couldn't do that to my family.

I have a story that's true. One night I stood star gazing from the bay window of my house and dared a UFO to come and pick me up. "Come, now," I said, "if you're out there and real. I'm ready."

At that exact moment lights traveled towards me, illuminating the ground and the bay window, including the inside of the room, and me!!! "I've changed my mind!" I hollered and to my dog I said, "Get your big butt out of the way!" I couldn't escape the room fast enough.

DH walked into the living room as I was dashing out of it and started laughing. "The aliens have come for me!" I said. "I need to hide."

"It's only a plane with its landing lights on," DH answered.

I don't know if I'll ever believe him. Planes don't fly around here with their landing lights on. LOL We have a small airport but not near us.


JJ

myonlyphoto said...

Peter, you always have good questions, but I am going to be honest, I probably would not make to the ligth, if comes to unknown I am the biggest chicken in the world lol. For some reason I fear the unknown, I fear ghosts, and I fear dead people, like I fear water, and I run away from dogs (at least I used to) lol. Oh well that's me, anna :)

But if I somehow made to that point, I would ask for a 'dream ride only', so I can wake up in my bed next morning with a smile on my face thinking that this was only a dream. BTW I used to have these crazy repeating dreams that I was able to fly like a bullet around the house, it was so so real, and I wish I it came back lol.

myonlyphoto said...

Hey, Peter I forgot to ask, did you take this photo with your digi camera lol, anna :)

Roswila said...

I doubt sincerely I'd go. I've been working too hard on this life to give up on it now. Especially as I see it beginning to bear fruits I am happy with. I travel to all sorts of strange and wonderful places in my imagination and dreams, so that satisfies any wander lust I occasionaly have. Besides, I (we all) have a one-way trip to an exciting unknown place coming up at the end of this life anyway. Why rush to it? :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, that would certainly be the opportunity of a lifetime! But I think fear of the unknown along with love for my family would keep me from going.

Scruffyhippo said...

Hi bob, JJ, Anna. Roswilla and Karen, sorry I haven't answered sooner but it turned out a busy weekend, well it seems a general consensus that no one would actually go knowing you couldn't come back.
I did ask this question a while back and got one person that said they would go, and this person wasn't single.
I actually said at one point that I to would do it, although now no longer a single person would find it hard to do so.
It is an interesting question on many points, firstly your first reactions, that say you would love to go but.....
And shows to that you would consider others around you before yourself.
Anna, no I didn't use my digi camera it was an old box brownie lol :)

Dalbanese said...

I think that this question reveals a lot about how people value the immediate reality/moment, and how its value seems somehow inextricably linked to the people we know and have met. I myself have a bouncing gemini personality, and love to meet new people all the time, taking nostalgia and missing others as curious and enjoyable episodes in experience, but still wonder whether I would be ok with this leap of faith that I will have meetings of the mind like I could not have imagined for the rest of my life, but can not talk again with those I know. I think that with this kind of experience, I would be offered a level of personal understanding that would work to suppress any feelings of loneliness or sadness at having left others. But the others, friends and family, would not. If they live the rest of their existence with only the level of understanding expected of most earth dwellers, then they will continually miss and wonder.

And so this gets to the thing that initially made me respond to this. It seems we value our friends/family/this level of existence/awareness/understanding enough that even if you have a religious view that tells you you'll be reunited again, you wouldn't leave. If you don't believe in your personality existing in some form afterwards, then the people here now are valuable. But if you are traveling to another world with higher beings, it tells you that there are levels of existence/awareness out there that you can graduate to, and why wouldn't you be able to tell the personalities you've loved, when the graduate to some form or another, that you left for xyz reasons? It assumes that we will not all at some point come to some greater understanding about how the world worked. I don't want to cause family suffering now, but if I were guaranteed that after a lifetime of earthly questioning, they were given a satisfactory response, I might leave.

What also if you were to be a bridge? Your role in life to graduate a bit? It's a very 2001: Space Odyssey question - you go it alone, and are rushed into a higher level of worldly understanding, where the things you cared about before no longer matter or at least don't worry you in the same way.

But still, those poor personalities you would leave behind: the mother, sister, friend, and lover?

Scruffyhippo said...

Dalbanese, thankyou for that wonderful, commentry that is so well put :)

As you end up saying what about those you leave behind, I do believe we re-unite on a higher level after what we call this reality but even so I would find it hard to leave without saying anything, not from my point of view but from their's, as they would be forever wondering what had happened. I will actually be posing this question to her tonight and will let you know the reply or ask her to write it.