Monday 3 September 2007

What does 'I know' mean?



I’ve been doing a lot of reading again recently, not on the internet I may add but reading books, the last few weekends I have been paying a visit to the local boot sales as they are known here, you know people sale all their old toot for a few pennies and I have been buying up books.

Not that I really need anymore, my book collection would challenge the local book shop for shear numbers, ok it’s not quite that bad, but you get my drift, it amazes me what people sell, for next to nothing, last week I bought a computer programme that runs a full astrology chart you can print off complete with book in it’s box for £1.00…..one miserly pound, it’s works too, anyway I’m rambling a bit so back to the reading.

I tend to absorb a lot of information from different sources and after recently visiting blogs such as Bob Johnson’s site (see link in sidebar) and his recent post about the sun, has got me thinking about this tiny planet we call home, as well as reading books on history, myths and many un-related topics inspired this post tonight.

Sometimes I get frustrated that I know very little if anything, especially with so much still to learn, so what is it we actually know?, most we have learnt from either out schooling or from books or even from having a passion on a particular subject, but mostly it’s someone else’s opinion or someone else’s ideas, how much of it do we question?

Much of what we assume we know comes from way back as I found out reading some old books last night, and how we think things are new ideas or new ways of thinking such as the so called lost lands of Atlantis and Lemuria.

Lemuria in particular in the last few years has seen this place gain more interest and websites than ever before, but a book I picked up last night blew open where this name came from, not from some channelling of a higher spirit from a place of that name or from long lost crystals only recently found in Peru ( by recent I mean the last 10 years or so) also reported to be from the people of Lemeria, but from a reference to an article back in 1880 on Atlantis, and it seems at the time while searching for the fabled Atlantis, reports of another large landmass surfaced, which has been inspired by Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, which sought to explain, among other things, why certain species of plants and animals are located where they are. Noting that Lemurs (small predecessors of the monkey) were abundant in this area of interest, An English zoologist Philip Sclater, called this lost land Lemuria (after the Lemurs).

Ok you could say it had to be called something, that’s true for ease of reference it should, but it’s all the stuff that has come up recently that, in my eyes is called into question, but what do I know?

Charles Darwin’s theory is only one theory, that we come from fish! Or could it be we really did come from Adam and Eve?

I remember reading something back in the 70’s about the human race coming from other planets, and this planet was once like a prison colony, so if you were a intergalactic thug you were stuck here, out in the middle of nowhere!....interesting theory, it went on to say (really straining the brain to remember that far back) it would explain all the different races on this planet, I’ve been told many times, I must be from another planet, I wonder how close to the truth they are.

But what do I know?

Personally I go with what feels right for me at the time, I am open minded and willing to change my mind or point of view if something comes along that ‘feels’ or fits better, then always review what I think, being stayed or narrow minded in one’s belief or way of thinking is too limiting, freedom of thought should always be maintained.

So what do I know?...I know that your own opinion and thoughts on any subject is worth far more than anything else, what YOU think IS important.

Six months ago today on Wednesday January 3rd, I started this blog, so by way of a celebration I have dug out my First Post for you


2 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

Peter, excellent post, and your first post reminded me the old days when I used to do this trick back in school. I also wanted to say that you know more than you think, and if you have common sense you got all you need. anna :) btw, I am book collector also, but Internet saved me lot of money, so I slowed down on my book addiction.

Scruffyhippo said...

anna, your right, common sense is a big part of it, as I said going with what you feel on whatever you are learning about is common sense.