Monday 8 January 2007

Quiting the Weed

One thing that I would really like to do is quit smoking, all the health scares have never really bothered me, and as usual I find myself sitting here with a cigarette going.

Many of the Reiki Masters I know smoke as do a lot of the mediums I know, Why is that?.....
I have thought about it many times, but thats just it all I do is think about it never act on it.

The last few days it has been on my mind again the main reason is my partner is a non-smoker, not that she has ever said anything about it, but things are changing, she is moving in....!

I have already limited my self to the computer room and out in the kitchen when she is here, but thats not all, she's pregnant !!

If ever I had a reason then this has got to be it, have just been surfing a few blogs ( as you do ) and found some interesting info posted on 2Dolphins via another website Healthbolt and I quote:

1/ In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.

2/ In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.

3/ In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.

4/ In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.

5/ In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.

6/ In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.

So in theory when I wake up in the morning I should already be at number 3 on the list !!!

Well here goes, .... my pledge. "From tomorrow morning I will NOT smoke another cigarette"

"GULP" Better use the reiki to help me!!!........... wish me luck folks

4 comments:

Richie said...

I can recommend Alen Carr's guide to giving up smoking. It worked for me! Until I started again :(

Thank you for dropping by my blog!

Scruffyhippo said...

Hi Richie, thanks for that, will look for it if I start to struggle :)

Dede said...

Hi Peter,

I'm glad that our post at 2Dolphins could help inspire you to stop smoking. It has been 372 days since I stopped, but who's counting! ;-)

Actually, the toughest part is making the decision to do it and then sticking with your cut off date. Sounds like you have the best reason of all to stop...your soon to be family! After 20+ years of smoking, it was easy for me to make the decision when we decided to adopt a child.

I recommend having gum, mints, lollipops or anything else to keep your mouth occupied the first month or so. Your girlfriend moving in with you should be able to help you with that. ;-)

I also had to break away from routines that I associated with smoking such as hanging out with my smoke buddies at work, drinking at parties and going to places that promote smoking such as bars.

I wish you the best of luck and you will feel MUCH better after you have stopped for a while.

Scruffyhippo said...

Thankyou Dede for your comments, and your good wishes, my first hurdle will be the first two days
:(

After that should be a bit easier ( see convinced myself already )

Actually I'm a bit of a choccy-holic as well, trying to work out whats worse lol ;)