Thursday 18 January 2007

Spam E-mails

Did you know, that one way the spammers get your e-mail address is send out 'e-mail bots'.

These are a bit like google bots that search your website or blog for updates but instead they are looking for e-mail addresses, I found this out a few weeks ago after still getting loads of junk and spam e-mails, on 3 of my e-mails, because I changed most of mine to a contact page ( see Contact Scruffyhippo in the side bar) I thought it would all stop, but it doesn't they sell on your address to many others.

As a result of that I have now changed my e-mail address and re-directed my contact page to that, guess what no unwanted e-mails now for 2 weeks.

The idea behind the contact page means no one has your E-Mail address (they use encrypted addresses), the one I use is hosted free, http://www.freedback.com/ although you can do your own.

If you have your e-mail address on your webpage or blog you can bet the spammers will be on it within weeks

4 comments:

Richie said...

That's interesting information, I have been getting increased spam to my email lately but nothing excessive as yet.

By the way, how do you prefer to be called? Scruffyhippo? Mr Hippo? Or just Scruffy?

Thank you also for adding a link to my blog. I shall reciprocate!

Scruffyhippo said...

You can call me anything except early in the morning :).... seriously tho some call me Scruffy some call me Hippo, I don't mind.

Richie said...

I think I feel more comfortable with Hippo, as Scruffy sounds like I'm insulting you!

Scruffyhippo said...

As I have long hair and a beard there are many mornings after a late night that I look worse than Scruffy ;)